What’s in a Name?

They tried to warn me: “Give the Lady a Ride” is just too “racy.” Provocative. Downright lewd. Did I believe them? Noooo. Not me, She Who Knows All.

Sigh.

I made two idiotic mistakes with my Facebook Fan Page. First, I made it for my book and not myself. If I understand the Facebook rules, I’m only allowed one fan page. That doesn’t mean I can’t finagle another by using a different name, but it may not tie in to my wall. As it is, my homepage notifications (not the wall posts, just the indications someone has responded to my wall, or left me a message, etc.). If I rejoin FB under a different name, I’ll lose that.  Anyway, the reason my set-up is such a pain is that I intend to publish more than one book. How wonderful it would be to have several books on one page. There may be a remedy for this that I’m unaware of, I’ll see. If you know, please fill me in. (Since publishing this, I’ve been told I can have as many fan pages as I want! Glory!!! but still–) Meanwhile, don’t make the same mistake I did.

Second major FB Boo-Boo: I placed an ad aimed at “anyone” so they’ll hit my “like” button. And they did. All sorts of secular folks who got the wrong impression from my “racy, lewd” title hit “like.” You can tell by their pictures they wouldn’t have become fans had  they known the book is a Christian romantic comedy. One “fan” was so demonstrative of his worldview, I had to delete him and ban his return. (I’m not sure whether that extended digit is universally offensive, but I wasn’t too crazy about it.)

If I’d had a lick of sense (something I’ve never been accused of), I would’ve put target limits on the ad. I would’ve designed the ad for specific interests, i.e. “Literature/Reading,” one of the category alternatives under “Broad Category Targeting.” Next, I would’ve specified who I wanted the ad to target, by using FB’s “Advanced Targeting Options.”

But, I didn’t have that lick of sense required to do the simple task of designing an ad. If you decide to do one, learn from my mistakes. Especially if your book title is “racy” and “lewd.”

This entry was posted in Promotion/Publicity/Marketing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to What’s in a Name?

1. Oh, Linda. I’m sorry to hear about this. You don’t deserve this trouble. We appreciate your advice.

The only “real” trouble these folks are causing is that I hate to delete them. They help pump up my numbers. I ought to, though. Taking them out would more accurately reflect my readership should anyone glance through my list of “fans.”

2. Margie Mijares says:

I must be living life in the slow lane because I “got” what the title of the book meant and I didn’t find it to be either racy or lewd. Sorry you are having so many problems with your ad…I always err on the side of caution with anything fb related so I probably miss out on some good things because I won’t open so many different posts…just trying to protect myself from viruses, spam, and hostile takeovers!!!!!

3. Lynne Wells Walding says:

Wow! Sorry about your troubles, Linda. I’m so FB-Naive, I’m taking it really slow.
    You know the old saying, “What goes in to FB, STAYS in FB.” 😉 Would it be possible to close your fan page and start over, using a different password, so it doesn’t take you right back where you were?

I’m having a heap of trouble with my Yahoo (which I’ve had for years) All of a sudden it won’t open most of my mail, it flips me from account to account, and positively refuses anything from FB.

Let’s go back to quill pens and Pony Express. Better yet, drawings on the inside of caves. A lot less work in the long run. 🙂

Hope there’s an equitable solution to your problem. You’ve got a lot more books in you!

I found out I can indeed have more than one fan page, so I’m relieved. As far as Yahoo–I’ve had two Yahoo mail addresses for years, too. I hope they’re not going too funky!

Drawings inside caves? Hmmm–that would be a hard way to push a book nationwide! (especially when you can’t draw!)

4. Lynn Mosher says:

Yikes! What a bummer! I’m so sorry. But I’m glad you found that more than one fan page is doable. Thanks for the warnings!

I made the same mistake with my website when my first book came out. Instead of reserving the domain name “kmweiland.com,” I reserved the book title, “amancalledoutlaw.com.” That was great until the second book came out. 😕

However, as for the FB pages, I know of at least one person who has more than fan page. Not sure how he works it, but it’s gotta be possible. Plus, there are all those people who create fan pages for other people? (E.g., there’s gotta be dozens of non-professional Blogger fan pages.)

Yeah, I found out right after I posted this that I can have more than one fan page. You don’t know how relieved I was to hear that!

6. Publishing certainly has a huge learning curve. Thank you for sharing your odyssey with us. I am such a newbie, I am not much help, except to stand in the cheering section and offer sympathy and encouragement.

Cheering/encouraging are greatly appreciated! You’re right, there is so much to learn, and I seem intent to learn it all the hard way!