Debut Extravaganza!

This is Hardeman House, a bed and breakfast near downtown Nacogdoches, and let me tell you–it’s a terrific place to hold a party!

I rented the first floor, which was surprisingly less expensive than I thought, and hired the lady who works there as the caterer. I’d tasted her food before and knew we’d be getting fed some top notch stuff. She didn’t let me down.

In thirty minutes, my family and I had the place set up, and within the next fifteen, our first guest arrived.

Lynne Wells Walding, a friend from Facebook and a fellow Texan, made the drive to join me and have the honor of being the recipient of my first book signed publicly.

Let me tell you about that. My hand shook. I signed the wrong page. I tried to talk and write too. She loved it and took the book anyway, but I learned a lesson (yet another lesson): I’m going to practice before I do this again.

The party was great. My daughter Jennifer made the table decorations. See those boots? Didn’t I tell you she’s talented?! Not just cakes, but anything she touches she makes into something beautiful. Gotta love it.

What I don’t love is that we forgot to take pictures. Other than a couple of shots, all the other pictures were taken at my house either before the party or the day after when I realized we didn’t have any pictures!

For instance, below, you’ll see what my dining room looked like before the party, but nowhere will you see what everything looked like at the party!

So yet another lesson: Pay attention to whomever you assign to the camera and make sure he does it! Both my husband and my daughter were assigned camera duty, and in Jennifer’s defense, she was supposed to use my cell phone–which stayed in my pocket the entire time because I forgot about it. MSB was simply having too much fun visiting with everyone to remember to snap a few shots.

I can’t tell you how special the night was. Yes, I sold quite a few books, but it’s not just the sales that made the evening memorable–it’s that so many people wanted to support me, encourage me, and share in my excitement. During my trek toward publication, an incredible number of folks have been rooting for me. I wish I could hold one whoppin’ party and fly every one of them to join me. Giggle! What I wouldn’t give to be related to Trump right now! That’s exactly what I’d do!

You want to know what the highlight of the evening was?

After everyone left, Jennifer, grandsweetie Amelia, and I went outside with almost two dozen helium balloons–and turned them loose.

As she watched the colorful orbs float on the wind, five-year-old Amelia said, “Fly away balloons! Fly to outer space! Bye-bye!”

14 Responses to Debut Extravaganza!

1. sheilaodomhollinghead says:

I’m so glad you enjoyed it–nerve-wracking as I know it must have been. Congratulations again!

2. Lynne Walding says:

What a sweetie Amelia is. Had I known she was going to be there I’d have brought Elmo and Faye (my baby squirrels) Well, maybe not.

Great party, Linda. I didn’t know Jennifer had done the table decorating. She did an awesome job. Wish I’d been there for the balloon release, but that’s better kept as a Grandma-Grandchild event. They say the sweetest things.

3. Lynn Mosher says:

Oh, wow! Linda, the decorations look wonderful! Jennifer did an excellent job! Love the boots! I’m so glad you guys had such a great time. I’m sorry there were no pictures taken but the memory will be alive in your heart forever! Blessings for a great RIDE! šŸ˜€

4. TraciB says:

Congrats on the book release party and the sales, Linda! Don’t worry about your swirling post; sounds like this was quite a swirl for you as it was.

Hmm, maybe you can edit the post to work in the topic somehow? šŸ˜‰

I meant to post about how the entire event and all of last week kept me swirling with activity, but it didn’t happen that way. Getting dim-witted in my old age! šŸ˜€

Looks beautiful! Spill the details. I’d love to hear a whole rundown of what you did to set it up (and I’m dying to know what’s in those gift bags!). BTW, if I had a dollar for every mistake I made in signing a book, I wouldn’t need to write for money. šŸ™„

6. Tracy Krauss says:

Congratulations, Linda!

7. E G Leiws says:

Wow! You really went all out. You make me wish I lived in Texas. Best of luck with the book.
    Peace and Blessings

Thanks, Ed. It was a lot of fun. I wish everyone could’ve been here!