Yes! in one easy lesson

Yesterday, I had an appointment with a doctor who has been treating me for a decade. Everyone in the office knows me and seems to be fond of me. And I’m fond of them too. Really. Even though they still can’t say my name right.

My husband’s boss of almost thirty years couldn’t pronounce his name. Our preacher can’t pronounce it. The bulk of everyone we know can not pronounce “Yezak.”

For a Polish name, it’s fairly easy, although I’m sure the way we pronounce it is as far from the actual Polish pronunciation as the Anglified spelling is.

Let me give you a hint: If you’ve been saying “Yeeeee-zack,” you’re with the majority. In other words, “Oops–that’s not it.”

So, here’s the lesson: Link “Yes” and “Ick” together with a “Z”–Yezick–and do me the favor of not bombarding me with “icky” jokes.

Yes, I know it’s tempting to toss “ick” around in all the comments. Believe me–I know. Even though few people actually have, I can see in their eyes how much they want to.

“What an icky name!”

Don’t blame me, I’m Irish.

So, whenever you see the name Yezak, you’ll know how to pronounce it (unless you’re in Snook, Texas. Folks there gave up and call themselves Yeeeee-zacks.)

You can say “Yeeee-haw!!! forYezak!” if you’d like, as long as you don’t pronounce the two words the same.

There ya go, your pronunciation guide for one of the easiest Polish names you’ll ever see. I’m sure all our Bryan and Bremond kinfolk will love this!

Now, for the winner of this week’s drawing–TERRY WALKER!!!! Terry, I just know you’re gonna love the bluebonnet coasters–but if not, maybe “Beautiful” will!

This entry was posted in Personal, Promotion/Publicity/Marketing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Yes! in one easy lesson

1. Winter Peck says:

The longer I carry the Peck name, the more I’m grateful to my hubby’s grandpa for changing it from the original Dutch, cause even the kids couldn’t even pronounce that one right. Course I went from one cool ethnic name to a bland one, LOL!

Peck’s not bland–and it’s certainly easy to pronounce! What’s the Dutch name?

• Winter Peck says:

I have no idea how to spell is, saw it once. But the way hubby’s family used to pronounce it and the way it’s correctly pronounced makes me glad hubby’s granddad changed it right before he married.

2. Wordsculptor says:

I used to have a German boss who couldn’t pronounce Keith – the nearest he ever got was ‘Keyce’. If he lost his keys we could never work out if he couldn’t find his car keys or if he was looking for ME.

I know the “th” sound is difficult for most non-English speaking Europeans. They usually pronounce it hard, like in “Thomas,” but I don’t know why he would put an “s” sound to it. Hmmm.

Anyway, I hope he never loses his keys anywhere near you!

3. I understand about the name thing. Pulliam is always mispronouced. People leave out the i. It isn’t Pullman – like the actor- it is Pull-i-am. Ironically, my husband’s name is William Pulliam. And yes, both are pronounced the same!

Good luck with educating the world about yours, Linda! And thanks for the chuckle!

I didn’t think your name was so difficult, but I guess folks would overlook the “i.” So, now the question is this: Is your husband’s name Will-yam Pull-yam? or Willy-am Pully-am? 😀

(feel free to come back with an “icky” joke!)

4. KatC says:

Oh Linda,

You are one funny lady! I love reading your posts. For the record, I’ve never pronounced your name “Yeeeee-zack.”

My take on your last name has been “YAY – Zack!”

I stand corrected…. 😀

That’s popular pronunciation #2–also falls in the category of *wrong*! But it’s okay with me if you want to say “Yay for Yezak!” Won’t rhyme, though. 😉

I admit I pronounced Yezak wrong for a long time, until I heard it said aloud in the news clip you “starred” in a while back.

Ah! My TV appearance. My terribly edited minute of fame. I’d forgotten all about that!

I think I’m due 14 more minutes. 😀

6. So many people ask me to spell “King.” I think they hear “Kane.” Or maybe too many years in the south have left be with a twang.

Sandy, I wouldn’t have thought “King” would be a problem, but I guess a Southern accent can throw anything off. Guess it’s all that fried chicken!