Did Ya Miss Me?

2010 ended in a flurry of activity for me, and not all of it was good. Illness and Death aren’t anyone’s best friends at any time, but somehow they just seem worse when they shroud the holidays.

For those who don’t keep up with my Facebook wall because you have better things to do than hang out on a social site (and good for you if you do!), I’ll catch you up on the last quarter of my 2010.

The final months began under the pall of my BFF’s husband’s death in October. The drunk who caused it is now being charged not with intoxicated manslaughter, but with murder. This was the man’s third time getting caught driving under the influence. He was in a borrowed car that wasn’t insured by the owner, and he was smashed. I have no problem with the charges. Last I heard the trial begins in April.

During November, MSB, Mom, and I all experienced varying degrees of illness. I went through whatever it was I had while we were on our hunting trip in the Hill Country, meaning I spent the entire time in bed; MSB’s hit a week later; Mom’s was earlier, then she got hit with something else later. I logged over seven hundred miles on my car driving from home to BFF’s house to Mom’s house so many times during these few months.

I finally landed at Mom’s for the duration. Since September, I’ve spent more time here than I have at home. When Mom gets sick, she doesn’t pick the easy stuff she can get over in a few days. We’ve spent several weeks battling her low blood count, caused only in part by her condition of having only one kidney. The big culprit has been internal bleeding. As I write this, we’re not sure what the cause is, but the choices are Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Acute Colitis, and just plain ol’ infection. I’m hoping for Acute Colitis or infection, because those can be treated and the entire ordeal will be done. The other two are life-long conditions.

As if that wasn’t enough, Mom’s heart decided to join the festivities, and she was diagnosed with supra-ventricular tachycardia–which is a multi-syllabic way of saying her heart flutters sometimes. Fortunately, the doctor wasn’t too concerned about it because we could point to a few things that caused it and each of those things were related to her anemia/internal bleeding (except that she had a breathing treatment for her asthma using Albuterol–which she shouldn’t have had, but no one knew or remembered at the time).

Right now, she’s on steroids–hyped up and hungry. It’s good to see her with a little energy again, even if it is superficial. I just hope I can get her to exercise enough while she feels good so that when she gets off the Prednisone, she’ll still have some energy. We’ll see . . .

I look at this short digest of events and realize even more how time flies. Ninety days worth of activities are listed here in highlights. Most of these days have been spent sitting, worrying; wondering what the cause of the various things are, how to fix them, how to help, what to do. I haven’t been home in several weeks. Christmas and New Year’s passed quietly, like footnotes in time. MSB has been understanding and supportive, threatening only once to make fajitas out of the cats–and that was during a time when he was pulling a week-long, twelve-hour shift. He’s far more patient with them when his hours aren’t so strenuous.

My friends have held me up in their prayers and have been supportive and understanding. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again–I am so thankful for my cyberpals! We don’t have to be in physical proximity to be close. I’m most grateful for that, because the bulk of my friends are scattered all over America and beyond, and I love every last one of them.

God has been quietly guiding me, tolerating my private whining sessions, hearing my pleas. While He hasn’t snapped His fingers and made Mom well, He has delayed some of the more painful decisions–nursing home? assisted living?–and provided us with hope that she’ll get well enough to continue as she has for the past several years. She’ll be able to live at home again. And soon, I’ll be able to live at home again too.

This entry was posted in Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Did Ya Miss Me?

1. Sally Bishop says:

Hey Linda, I noticed you had been quiet. Sorry you have experienced these hardships. I pray you continue to fell God’s comfort and security surround you and give you peace.
    Welcome to the New Year.

2. linda yezak says:

Thanks, Sally. I appreciate you!

3. Walk says:

Waiting in wonder, especially at the bed side of a sick parent is horrible. I went through it with my dad and now my mother is getting so forgetful that we are having to move her into assisted living. I guess this is the path everyone has to thread sometime in their life.

And Yes, I did miss ya, a bunch. Here’s hoping and praying for a quick return home and the rest that you deserve.

4. linda yezak says:

Aw, Terry, so sorry about your mom! That’s so sad. I’ll pray for God’s peace for all of you.

I’ve missed you too. We just don’t seem to cross paths as much as we used to. I hope God is blessing you and “Beautiful” with joy in spite of your mom’s circumstances.

5. Definitely missing you! My mother is feeling better–but that’s actually not a good thing for me. It means she calls me more or comes to my house more (she lives next door) and repeats herself over and over.

She’s also very demanding. I told Carl she’s a spoiled brat in an eighty-seven-year-old body. I don’t mean that to sound harsh. Part of it is my fault because I give in to her demands, knowing her life on earth is short.

Sorry that this became about me instead of you. 🙂 I have been praying for you and I realize how stressful all of this is for you. Take care of yourself!

6. linda yezak says:

Sheila, I certainly understand! My mom can be a bit of a handful sometimes!

7. Keith McCormick says:

Linda, My thoughts and prayers were and will always be with you. Your fun, funny and I know how hard it can be when your longing for that smile to become no longer forced and laughter to become normalcy again. Thank God the storms don’t last forever, I’ve been floundering without your humor.
    Best to all, Keith
    Oh ya, did normalcy fit there?

8. linda yezak says:

Thank you, Keith! I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers. “Normalcy” worked just fine.

Glad to see you back here on Peppermint Place! You’ve had a rough couple of months, no doubt about it. Keep hanging in there! Everything goes wrong just right when God’s in charge. You and your mom are in my prayers daily.

10. linda yezak says:

“Everything goes wrong just right”! Love that! Thanks for your prayers.

11. DS says:

Welcome back! You were busy…

12. linda yezak says:

Hey, Mr. Newlywed! Yeah, I’ve been a little busy. No snowboarding for me . . . 😀

13. Linda, I’m so sorry about your friend’s husband. It’s such a crazy world. And about your illnesses. I’ll continue to pray for you.

Please pray for me/us, too. We’ve had an accidental family tragedy just before Christmas as well. A very sad time of things.

I’m glad Jesus is coming back soon.

much love, Karen

14. linda yezak says:

So sorry to hear that, Karen! I hate when things happen before the holidays! You and your family will be in my prayers.