It’s Fall!

It’s fall, and it finally feels like it here in East Texas. This has been a wonderful week of moderate temperatures, low humidity, gentle sunshine. I love it.

For the first time since the temps climbed over 85 earlier this year, MSB and I went for a forty-five-minute walk yesterday. Of course when you don’t get any more exercise than I do, you wake up feeling the pain from it, but how wonderful it was to feel a soft breeze, to observe the changing of the leaves, to get yapped at by Paco Taco, the neighbor’s Chihuahua.

Yep. He’s still at it. He actually bit my shoe yesterday, then scampered away jubilant with his feat of heroism. And I was so happy the weather has finally cooled, I allowed him his celebration without so much as a snarl.

This won’t last long, this genial weather pattern. October is selfish with its love. Usually, it’s engaged in battle. Until summer finally loses the war against autumn, October will be the most schizophrenic month of the year. The weekend before us will be wonderful, but who knows what next week will hold?

Usually the Halloween goblins swoop down for their sweets and treats long before summer relinquishes its hold, and the promise of crackling fires in the hearth is postponed until the pilgrims come and the turkey roasts. Perhaps that will be true again this year. But for the weekend, I expect another walk in the woods, another thrill over the crisp morning air, another bout with the yapper.

It’s fall!

7 Responses to It’s Fall!

1. Sally Bishop says:

I’m in west Texas and the mornings are starting to cool but the afternoon climbs into the 90’s still. I love the change of seasons. I miss the change of leaves. Here, with such a minimum of trees, there is not that wonderful splash of color I grew up with.

Sally, it’s funny how the trees diminish in size and number between here and there. When we move from the forest, I’m going to miss the fall colors most of all.

I hope your temps drop soon!

2. I found your blog through CWO and I’m enjoying your archives…thanks for the great description of fall. It’s nice to finally get a moment to let the season-change sink in…and even though October is moody, I do love the signs of autumn! Have a blessed weekend! ~Christie

Christie, so nice for you to drop in and leave a comment. I always love it when new readers bless me like that.

God bless!

September here in Nebraska was absolutely fabulous. I felt like I got an extra month of summer! Fingers crossed that October decides to be just as genial.

4. Lynn Mosher says:

Ooo…loved this! Love, love, love fall! It’s been wonderful for a week. I was actually cold this morning! 😀

It was cool enough to turn the fans off this morning. MSB is already bringing firewood up, but I don’t think I’m that cold yet!