My First Big Editing Job

I can’t help being a little excited.

Terry Burns is having several of his stories and books published through Port Yonder Press, and I get to be one of the editors for him.

Believe me, I’m so excited, I’m fanning my face with splayed fingers, because this Writer’s Guide is my first edit for a major author! But before you start spreading the kudos on too thick (if you had any thought of spreading kudos at all), please know that I’m not the only editor who worked on Terry’s masterpiece. PYP is swimming with talent, and we all work together to put out the best product possible.

Okay, that said, I’m still giddy.

Since PYP is so new, the idea of launching books from such multi-pubbed names as Terry Burns, Eddie Jones, Max Elliot Anderson and Liz Rhodebeck is a big deal–as is the fact that ACFW added us to their list of approved publishers!

Keep in mind that small publishing companies are a viable alternative to the over-worked giants. Just recently, Marcher Lord Press produced a Christy winner (By Darkness Hid, by Jill Williamson) and Max Elliot Anderson’s Lost Island Smugglers (a PYP publication) is being studied for a motion picture. PYP and similar publishers are a terrific launching point for new authors, because we are a traditional press–not a vanity press. Once you’ve published with us, you are still responsible for quite a bit of your marketing, just as you are with larger houses. As you gain experience working this game, you can build up quite a portfolio and enhance your profile.

About the book: Terry is a writer, an agent with Hartline Literary, and speaker at many writer conferences. This book is derived from on-line and conference courses he has presented, and it covers absolutely everything about getting published, from getting over your shyness so you can engage in a face-to-face pitch, to writing a killer marketing plan and platform. This book should be on the shelf of every writer daydreaming of publication.

Terry himself is a wonderful man. He writes in the western genre and has numerous magazine articles, chapbooks, and full-length novels to his credit. As busy as he is, he agreed to let me interview him, the result of which is now posted on AuthorCultureHis book comes out through Port Yonder Press in August, but you can pre-order now on Terry’s website, Cowboy Musing.

Other books by Port Yonder Press coming out this year include:

This entry was posted in Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to My First Big Editing Job

1. How exciting for you!

2. Great! You’re one busy gal.

Thanks, Jimmie! I’m definitely excited, but I can’t wait to get the book into my little paws myself. It’s a fountain of great info!

4. pclement says:

I heard Terry Burns speak at two of the writer’s conferences I attended in Marshall, Texas. He is indeed a wonderful man and can’t wait to buy his new book. Cudos on being a part of that.

Peggy Clement

You were in Marshall this year? I am soooo jealous! I was supposed to be, but wound up in the hospital instead. Can’t believe how close we came to meeting in person!

5. pclement says:

Yes, I was. (I am Jessica Ferguson’s friend). I remember reading on your blog that you were ill. Hopefully,we will get another chance to meet. I plan to go back.

Peggy

Can’t wait to get my hands on it! Ya’ll at PYP have been doing as fantabulous job.

I didn’t realize until today that another editor not associated with PYP also worked on it–Kristine Pratt. Talk about a *professional*! The things I could learn from her!!!

I’m giddy just reading this!

9. Jess says:

Congrats Linda! I love this cover. The book looks great. I can never resist a new writing book. Terry came to our BWG conference one year but sadly, I couldn’t make it so didn’t get to meet him. We’ve shared some dialogue via email though. He’s a very generous man.

10. linda yezak says:

Jess, Anna O’Brien did the cover. Great job, right? Terry is a good man. I’ve enjoyed working with him.