Dieting–sorta

This post is more “Betty Crocker” than anything I’ve ever written, but I figured I’d share it with you anyway:

Last New Year’s, I made a pinkie promise with Annie that I’d try to lose weight, even though none of my doctors think I’m fat (I wish they’d talk to the clothes designers, who apparently think I have the figure of a walrus. Either that, or they design their clothes to fit sixteen-year-old hipless boys).  Annie is doing far better with her diet than I am, but I did manage to lose ten pounds. Okay, I was in the hospital at the time, but I lost it. That counts.

I hate dieting–don’t really know how. Having been ill for a good portion of my adult life, I’ve never had to do it before. The list of things I can and cannot have while dieting is, to say the least, depressing. Of course, there is the theory that a dieter can have anything in moderation, but I doubt that “moderation” is defined as a family sized bag of M&Ms downed in one day.

To keep up with my diet (when I’m behaving) and still enjoy the things I love, I alter the recipes. This is one I tried last week, and the results were wonderful! But just a note: to compensate for using real butter, I made this pie without a crust, something you can do with custard pies since they brown on the bottom well enough to support themselves.

BUTTERMILK-COCONUT PIE (modified)

1 large egg and 2 egg-whites, lightly beaten

1-1/2 cups of Splenda

1/2 cup of flaked coconut

1/2 cup of 1% Milk + 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (I used this as a substitute for the buttermilk)

1/2 cup butter (or margarine)

2 tablespoons of all purpose flour

1 teaspoon vanilla (I use real vanilla, but the recipe calls for extract)

Mix this all together and pour into a pie pan (or into an unbaked 9″ pie shell), and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Check after 25 minutes. If it’s browning too quickly on the top, cover it with foil.

I cut the pie into eight slices, but hard-core dieters would probably cut it into sixteen. I think I’ve already established that I’m not a true, hard-core dieter.

This entry was posted in Personal and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Dieting–sorta

Mmm-mmm! That pie sounds yummy. (BTW, in my experience of dieting, “sorta” always belongs after the word. 😉 )

Good for you! Altering recipes is a great way to diet.

Shaddy, it’s the only way I can do it without feeling deprived. 😦

4. Nikole Hahn says:

I don’t diet. I don’t use sugar substitutes. I do a lifestyle change and watch my portion sizes and watch how food affects the scale daily. I can have a slice of pie during the day. I can have my chocolate (not a whole bag…lol).

I work out with weights, yoga, cardio, and when the treadmill is working…that, too. I’ve lost 25 lbs since the end of December. Now I’m building lean muscle to burn calories when I’m not heavily working out. On any average morning, I am burning at least 150 to 300 calories with my morning workouts and I try to fit in an afternoon walk or a short evening excercise, too. I use one or two days to rest my body from work outs so it can build that muscle so I can lose that weight.

I eat lots of veggies with my meals, fresh ingredients in my cooking and baking. I enjoy things better now. I have more energy. My smaller portions taste better. I even make my cookies at home smaller so I can have two and fool my mind that I’m eating alot.

5. Nikole Hahn says:

BTW…I can’t have pie or cake twice in a week. Bad on the scale. LOL

6. Nikole Hahn says:

Oh, and I also drink whey protien drinks after a good workout, but never in the evening because it’s too much and I gain by the next day.

Okay, Nikole–I know you! You just dropped by to rub it in! You know I’m allergic to exercise and break out in cold sweats at the thought of life-style changes. On the bright side, I do eat lots of veggies and use fresh ingredients and make/eat smaller portions.

I was kiddin’ about the M&Ms. Really.

Seriousy, though–congrats on losing 25 lbs and turning what’s left into muscle! That is so cool!!!

8. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Next best thing to Speedy Express delivery.

And I’ve done the whole bad thing–I mean bag thing.

And so is Nicole saying I can use real sugar in this recipe? 😉

Sandy–If I’d known seeing the recipe was all it’d take to make you happy, I would’ve sent it to you earlier!

Good question for Nicole. I’ll have to ask . . .

10. Nikole Hahn says:

Yes, I am. Use real sugar. Just eat a smaller size or have it in the early part of the day so you can walk it off in the afternoon.

11. Nikole Hahn says:

The fake sugar stuff is almost as bad for you as the real stuff. I read that somewhere.

12. Nikole Hahn says:

Oh you’re not allergic…lol. I didn’t rub it in, or mean to anyway, but I love to cook and bake. Food from scratch and baked items from scratch. I have a passion for food and people should have a passion for good food without an obsession for food. LOL. Life is meant to be enjoyed not to be on an eternal diet. LOL>

Nikole, I didn’t think Splenda was fake sugar. Isn’t it a derivative of sugar? I hope you let me know, because we’ve been depending on it to cut calories!!!