Best Friends Forever

You’ve got to love a friend who’ll help you plant. Okay, I admit: it’s not like we planted cotton in the back forty, just a few flowers in some patio pots, but still . . .

Every time Sharon comes to visit, I realize how much I miss having her live across the pond from me. Oh, sure, I have friends here in town, folks I chat with at church and HOPE. But she was my buddy, game for anything. Pack up the kids and let’s go.

During the hardest times of my illness, Sharon was there. One time, not long after Sweet Sarah was born, I was having a horrible reaction to the drug I was on. I started out fine in the morning, and MSB figured it was okay for him to go to work–he’d missed so much already with me being in the hospital. The drug gave me back spasms and arthritis and temps well over 100 as the day wore on. And I never realized it was the drug. I just thought I had caught a bug or something.

One day in particular, I was having a hard time. I was desperately thirsty, but I couldn’t get up to get some ice water. Every time I tried, I had back spasms and was literally thrown back down. I called Sharon.

She stopped what she was doing, packed up her baby and walked all the way around the pond just to fetch me a glass of water. Can you imagine?

Over the years, she’s been my confidante and my measure of marital sanity. She’s been married ten years longer than I have (almost to the day), and when MSB and I first moved here, we were virtual newlyweds. Even though I was in my thirties, I didn’t have a lot of experience being a married woman, and sometimes the adjustment made me crazy. I’d cry on Sharon’s shoulders over all the injustices I had suffered–and she’d laugh at me. Literally. She’d have a big ol’ giggle-fest while I was drying my eyes and feeling betrayed. But I learned that her laughter was telling me I’d made a mountain out of a molehill (a trap many newlyweds fall into, I’ve since discovered). MSB has her to thank for not spending our first five years here in the doghouse.

I so enjoyed her visit this week, short though it was, and feel blessed to call her my friend.

How about you? Who’s your best friend and for how long? Do you have special memories? Have you had a chance to give her a hug lately?

14 Responses to Best Friends Forever

1. This is beautiful!

I’ve never had a friend like that. My BFF would have to be my husband. And my sister–we’ve become closer over the years, but she lives 3 hours away. Long way to walk with a glass of water!

Is this bad? Should I be concerned?

You are so blessed to have a sister! I had a brother who passed away in ’95, so basically I’m an only child. I have sisters-in-law whom I love, though. God allows everything to balance out.

My husband is presently my best friend. I couldn’t ask for anyone better than him to rely on when I need a friend and even when I don’t.

I’m so glad you had Sharon to help you when you REALLY needed someone to give you a hand.

And of course I appreciate all of my online friends, including you.

• pprmint777 says:

My husband is my rock, but–and I’ve told him this before–he makes a lousy girlfriend. 😀

I love and appreciate all my online friends, too. And I’m really glad you consider me a friend!

4. JoyG says:

I haven’t had a girlfriend like that since I was in high school. We’re still friends, but we live in separate states now. You’re blessed to have such a great BFF.

• pprmint777 says:

My high school girlfriends are long gone. A couple have been relegated to the Christmas card list, but with such great distance between each of us, it was hard to keep a friendship going.

5. Sally Bishop says:

Barbara is my oldest friend. We started kindergarten together and although I moved away in 9th grade we have stayed in contact and see each other when I return to visit my parents. We are not as emotionally close as we once where but we still make sure each other knows about the highlights of our lives and the moments we do get to share we both treasure.

There is something to having such a long, shared history that keeps us forever linked.

Growing up, my siblings were always my best friends (during the moments when I didn’t hate them, of course 😉 ), and I still maintain wonderful relationships with them. And then there’s my pal Adrie, who keep me in line, laughs at my shenanigans, and tells me now and then that I’m a good writer. 😀

• pprmint777 says:

She says you’re a “good” writer??? You’re a *great* writer–one of the best. I’m gonna have to talk to your friend!

7. Nikole Hahn says:

Hello Friend,

I have many special acquaintainces I meet through church, blogging, twitter, etc, but one friend in particular has always been there. Though we were born cousins, she and I have always been like sisters. She understands. I don’t even have to say much. She cheers me up. She dries my tears.

I have two best friends in the whole wide world–her and my husband, Tony. Those two would do just about anything for me and I for them.

You know what I’m talking about. A very special girlfriend who stands out above all the acquaintances. Yep.

9. Walk says:

To have a friend like that, you have to be a friend like that. A relationship is a two way street, both give and take. So, I would reckon ole Sharon could write the same words to describe you.

I’ve noticed in our on-line friendship how compassionate and uplifting you are. Example from above, you told our favorite author, Missy Katie, that she isn’t a good writer, she’s a great writer. Thus, the encouragement, that gift God put in your heart to spread to grateful others.

I don’t know if I have a friend like Sharon, but Beautiful does. She not only helps Beautiful plant flowers, she digs them up out of her garden and brings them over to plant here because she thinks it blends just right with the other plants in our flower bed.

Terry, your kind words made my day! “Beautiful” is one lucky woman!!!