I Have a New Job!

Last Friday, I was accepted to the team of editors for Port Yonder Press publishing company. I am now an “associate editor in training”! For the past few years, I’ve had editing/critiquing  jobs and projects and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Now I have an opportunity to learn this end of the industry better.

Port Yonder Press is a young, small traditional publishing company, not a vanity press, which does print-on-demand publishing. What this means is that we use modern technology to publish our books instead of typesetting, which means we don’t have warehouses full of printed books. Otherwise, we’re just like any other publishing company. We accept queries and reserve the right to refuse any manuscript. We read, edit, suggest changes and corrections, publish, pay royalties, and help promote the books for our authors.

Our Publisher/Managing Editor, author Maggie Woychik, is a stickler for quality. She’s an award-winning writer herself and knows what good material is. She won’t settle for less, and for that alone, I’m proud to have my name associated with her publishing company.

What I love about Port Yonder Press is that it allows an avenue for Christians who want more freedom in what they write, but who are currently limited by the rules of larger publishing companies. Don’t get me wrong–explicit language and graphic sex and violence are prohibited, as is mysticism and witchcraft, but sci-fi, fantasy and speculative fiction are welcome. Maggie defines what is allowed in terms of movie ratings–We aim for PG. PG-13 is allowed and determined on a case-by-case basis. (Check  out the Port Yonder Press website for more.)

While that may sound restrictive to secular authors, what we are striving for is family-friendly books as well as entertainment for folks who wouldn’t be interested in the things we’ve prohibited anyway. The books we hope to publish don’t necessarily have to be Christian, but they do have to be clean–which is another reason I’m proud to be on the team. I’ve been known to utter a few words I shouldn’t, but signing my name to them is a different matter. That goes for my own by-line or anyone else’s, if my name is to appear in the acknowledgements their book.

And the rest of the editors feel the same way. I’m privileged to know most of the editorial staff through our membership at ChristianWriters.com (and the occasional Facebook snowball war), and respect each one of them for their talent, knowledge and abilities. Suzanne Hartmann, Naomi Musch, Lorna Poston and Tony Lavoie are terrific folks and I’m honored to be numbered among them.

So, I’m excited and ready to go to work. My future’s looking brighter all the time!

This entry was posted in Personal, Writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to I Have a New Job!

1. Liberty says:

I didn’t know Naomi and Suzanne were part of the P.Y. team too! Yikes, it seems everyone I know is signing on now! You, Holly, Lorna, Suzanne, Naomi… Yeesh! I’m going to have to submit next year to them now just because I know so many of the team!

• pprmint777 says:

I know Maggie will be happy to take you on, Liberty. From what I understand, we get plenty of queries. You’ve gotta get Baby Two out of the oven first, though, don’t you? 🙂

• Liberty says:

Baby #2 is coming in July. (Better not be late either–we have too many b-days in August on both sides of the family!)

My goals for writing this year are finishing the edits/character arc tweaks that I’ve started on my mainstream mystery novel, and getting it out to agents–before the baby comes. While I’m working on getting it a contract with an agent, I fully intend to edit/rewrite a couple of projects.

I’m praising God that my brain continues to work. I’ve heard from other women writers that their brains shut down during pregnancy. Not true for me, fortunately! (It shuts down in other areas, like remembering how to hold onto silverware at the dinner table, but oh well…)

2. Winter Peck says:

Wow! That’s great news! I’m so happy for you. You’ll make a great editor!

• pprmint777 says:

Thanks, Winnie! I’m excited. We just published a book (one of many) by Terry Burns, the agent from Heartline–who I’ll get to meet personally in an upcoming conference. I’m soooo excited! 😀

We’re also publishing Book One of Janalyn Voight’s “Tales of Faeraven” trilogy.

I think this company’s going to go far!

Congrats again, Linda! I’m tickled pink about this opportunity for you. Can’t wait to follow your journey!

You are one lucky girl!!! I’m so very, very happy for you. Will you work from home?

Best wishes in your new role,

Shaddy

5. Congratulations! Sounds like a wonderful opportunity. 🙂

6. soulsupply says:

Hey Linda,

This is brilliant news… I am sure that you will be a blessing to so many more now.

CONGRATULATIONS

7. Annie says:

Congrats on another door opening in your writing career!!! You deserve it!!! I look forward to some posts about what you are learning as an associate editor in training. I bet it will be a very interesting journey and job! Kudos!!!

Thanks, Annie!

Wow, Liberty, you’ve got your plate full! I hope you get everything on your list done with time (and sanity) to spare!

10. Joan Vanden Noven says:

Congratulations on your new job! And to think you can sit at home in your PJ’s and get your work done! You will do well and a great stepping stone to much more in the future!
    Way to go, Linda!

Thanks, Joan! Yep, that was a selling point–working in my pjs and fuzzy slippers. Gotta love it!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )