Publishing House Thomas Nelson’s Big Announcement

I’m going to be gone for several days, but I couldn’t leave without sharing the news: Publishing giant Thomas Nelson is going to offer an imprint for self-publication. Michael Hyatt made the announcement recently in his blog, Michael Hyatt, Leading with Purpose. Thomas Nelson’s new division is Westbow Press, and is in partnership with Author Solutions.

Among Mike’s readers, the announcement generated quite a response–both pro and con, but mostly pro.  One of the benefits of self-pubbing through Westbow Press is the possibility a self-pubbed writer will catch the eye of the powers that be in the house. If that happens, he/she may receive a contract from them. Also, although the packages are priced higher than can be found elsewhere, most of them include some form of promotional aid.

Of course, as one person commented on the site, if an author is successful promoting his own book, why would he want to sign a contract with TN, thereby losing some of his profits? Mike answered the question in his site convincingly: Alone, an author could sell thousands. With a publishing company, the author could sell millions.

So, while I’m gone, I’d like to know: What do you think?

(Choose all that apply):

Feel free to leave a comment and state your opinion. I’d love to know what you think. I may not be able to answer right away, but I promise I’ll get back with you.

This entry was posted in Writing, Writing Tips and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Publishing House Thomas Nelson’s Big Announcement

I have mixed feelings about this. I do think TN is making an interesting step in taking notice of self-publishers. And I think it’s probably going to be a very good thing for the handful of authors who use Westbow and are subsequently picked up by TN. But, ultimately, I don’t know that this route is necessarily wise. If I’m going to self-publish, I might as well go a significantly less expensive route with CreateSpace and put my extra money into promotion. But if I’m going to publish traditionally, I might as well not waste my time and money fooling around with Westbow.

The possibility of selling a lot more of your books through the publishing company sounds tempting to me.

3. Walk says:

I’m not hot or cold on this. I can see the benefits of a publishing house being able to promote some places that I couldn’t get my foot in the door on my own, but is it worth the extra cost. I haven’t compared cost yet so I may change my mind if there is a wide gap between said costs.

Yip, it’s tempting, but I guess I need something to publish first.

I have mixed feelings about it, too. It seems to be a sound business decision for TN. It’ll be interesting to see if any of the other publishing houses do it.

5. Amelie says:

Not mixed on this at all!!!

I am working on a three novel series right now and I have investigated the pricing on several websites. While it is more expensive, I actually spoke with a publishing consultant (sales person) and the pros are incredible.

If a person has no intention or doesn’t really care if they ever get picked up by a big publishing house, then sure, do all the work yourself, Westbow wouldn’t be for you, except they do have a package that starts at $999 or so and you can do the exact same thing through a highly reputable company. (I promise, I am not a sales person!!!)

The other school of thought is for the person who WANTS to get picked up by a large publishing house.

Large publishing houses no longer accept unsolicited manuscripts anymore, if they do it is RARE, and even literary publishing agents are hard to come by. By self publishing you protect your work with a copywrite, pay for the fine tune editing all authors need, get markeing and distribution opportunities and now, your excellent work is in front of the people who will pick you up.

Gone are the days of easily being picked up by a publishing house and imediately becoming a best seller!!! We all have to put in our efforts, and yes, money. I ran the cost through today and it is pricey, but I am saving right now as I write each an every word. One day I’ll have the books written and the money saved.

I look at it as the cost of education. People are willing to spend TONS of money on education for a piece of paper which may or may not help them. But this money can be put toward something that educates you, and moves you forward toward your dreams.

Amelie–I’m embarrassed to be just now seeing your comment.

I’ve been seeing a lot of comments in support of self-pubbing and the “pros” are beginning to convince me. While I’d love the affirmation of being accepted by the larger named publishing houses, the idea of pulling in more of the profit because I’m not splitting with a bunch of middlemen is also appealing.

I’d like for anyone to try to go the conventional route first. If they’re rejected–and the reason is anything other than they shouldn’t be trying to write in the first place–self pubbing is a good way to go.

Since TN made their announcement, Harlequin also announced a self-pub imprint. It may indeed be the wave of the future.

Good luck with whatever you do!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )